Aug 26, 2009

Resistance is Futile.......but prevalent


Dr. Wayne Dyer recently published a book called “Excuses Be Gone, How to Change Lifelong, Self-defeating Thinking Habits” in which he reveals 18 of the most common excuses he has heard for why people cannot be happy. For example common excuses include: “I can’t afford it”, “I am too busy”, “it is too difficult” or “it will take too long”. Think about it, don’t you find yourself automatically saying one of these four excuses on a daily basis when new opportunities are presented to you?

Skimming through his book got me thinking about all the excuses I have heard over the years and how some are very similar to those that Dr. Dyer has heard. While all of my clients want help, desire change, or are desperately seeking answers, it is inevitable that many of them have excuses for why they cannot take the advice that is given to them. For example, I received a call from a woman who wanted to improve her at-home business and her relationship with her family. The issues/solutions were obvious in the house, yet no matter what solution was presented she had an excuse for why it could not be done.

When people have an abundance of excuses it is apparent that they recognize the need for the change (which is why they called in the first place) but may not yet be ready to actually make the change right away. And this is okay. Within a week or so these clients call, say they did make the changes suggested and that they are seeing improvements. My aim is solely to help my clients achieve their goals at whatever pace makes them comfortable.

Below I have listed some excuses that I have heard over the years and some answers for each excuse.

Excuse

Reply

“ I don’t like it but my grandmother gave it to me”

Put it away until grandma visits then take it out. If grandma has passed away, put the item in your memory and then pass it along to someone who will appreciate it. This would honor your grandmother.


“I might need it some day”

If you haven’t used it in the past year, and you see no need for it today, get rid of it.

“I want to pass it on to my children”

Put it in storage until your kids can use it.

“I haven’t read those magazines yet”

When you get a magazine read it within one week then get rid of it. If you have magazines over two months old, toss them.

“But I like it there”

Try moving the item to the suggested location for just one week and see what you think, you can always move it back.


“It doesn’t belong to me”

Then return it. If it is a roommate’s then remember that everyone in a household must be part of feng shui solutions.


“It doesn’t really affect me”

Try the suggestion given you, again, for one week, if you do not feel a difference in your space you can always move it back.

Keep in mind, when you request an Intuitive Living or Feng Shui consultation try to do so with an open heart and an open mind. Resistance to change is common but once the ideas have a chance to percolate in your mind, you will find what exciting new opportunities may lie ahead for you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment